2020 KTM 150 SX
Wide Open Track Attack: With the agility of a 125 and a healthy dose of extra power, the KTM 150 SX is a lively package ready to take on the 250 cc 4-strokes. From within its dynamic lightweight chassis, the compact engine produces class-leading torque and power. Everything about this motorcycle screams high-performance fun and it goes into battle as the ultimate on-track competitor.
- KTM 2-strokes have been tearing up MX tracks for decades and are undoubtedly the fastest on the track today. Thanks to years of ongoing development, these engines are the benchmark in performance and technology, with the perfect combination of power, weight and control. For 2020, small, but important refinements have been made, resulting in improved power delivery and reliability and through its melodic high-RPM screams, KTM150 SX continues to deliver thrilling high-performance harmonics.
- Power progression: The pure exhilaration that this bike's engine delivers warranted continued production. As it shares many of its key components with the class-leading 125, the cylinder, cylinder head and piston unit can now also be fitted on a 125 cc engine base, converting it to a 150 SX without having to replace the crankshaft. Compact and powerful, this innovative 2-stroke engine is a lightweight powerhouse that just makes perfect sense.
- Cylinder: At the heart of the 150 cc engine is a 58 mm bore cylinder. It features an innovative power valve unit with a sophisticated mechanism designed for the lateral support exhaust ports. The exhaust port layout enhances engine performance, while the precise machining of the upper contour of the exhaust port ensures accurate port timing. The two component cylinder head works in complete harmony with the cylinder to deliver outstanding performance across the entire rev range.
- Crankcases and engine covers: The lightweight engine cases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process, keeping wall thickness to a minimum while retaining strength and durability. The design allows for a high crankshaft position which is located near to the center of gravity, resulting in optimal mass centralization and easier rideability. The engine body is extremely compact, which contributes significantly to the low engine weight. Additionally for 2020, the kickstart intermediate gear has been reworked for improved reliability.
- Transmission: The KTM 150 SX is fitted with a robust 6-speed transmission. The gear ratios, which featured improvements and reinforcements, were carried over from the predecessor. The gearbox features a new drive shaft which uses a screw for pinion fixation and diaphragm spring instead of a circlip, ensuring secure pinion fixation. Another highlight of the 125 SX transmission is the "no-dirt" gear shifter. Similar to the footpeg design, it prevents the build-up of dirt and ensures the next gear is always available, no matter what the conditions.
- Highly effective cooling: Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 150 SX features radiators which are positioned for a lower center of gravity. Their design matches the shrouds perfectly and offers a great slim feel to the ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. The radiators also feature special protectors that serve not only as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- For sound of power: When it comes to power delivery and performance, the exhaust developed specifically for this bike plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. In addition, its special shape provides slimmer ergonomics while still operating safely within the noise limits for racing.
- The KTM 150 SX is just made to be ridden aggressively and features a chassis that delivers on the rider's demanding expectations. The lightweight, high-tech steel frame is designed to respond instantly to rider input and provide accurate rider feedback. The flex characteristics help the bike to soak up those big hits while also delivering excellent agility and high-speed stability. For 2020, the suspension features improved damping characteristics. The reworked settings offer a slightly softer, more comfortable feel that, together with the frame, allows the rider to be 100% in charge of the ride.
- Control at the core: The frame is professionally crafted from hydro-formed chromium molybdenum steel tubes that are robot welded, ensuring the highest levels of consistent quality. The stiffness has been precisely tailored for the most dynamic handling, and works in perfect harmony with the suspension to provide nimble agility without losing high-speed stability. The frame also features “no dirt" footpegs, which have a simple but effective self-cleaning system that ensures the footpegs return to their original position, providing complete control in all conditions. All SX frames feature the same highly durable powder coating as the KTM Factory machines and come with standard frame protectors. The subframe is made from lightweight aluminum, providing rear fender stability and strong support for the rider at little extra weight.
- Swingarm: The one-piece swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process for exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. It offers a wide range of adjustment for the rear wheel, allowing for a shorter wheelbase on tighter, twisty tracks, or a longer wheelbase for greater stability on longer, more choppy tracks. The swingarm's chain measurement markings are visible from above, making adjustment simpler and more accurate.
- KTM uses lightweight, CNC-machined hubs and high-end Excel rims on all SX models, guaranteeing maximum stability and minimum weight. The aluminum spoke nipples feature a design that conveniently reduces the frequency with which the spokes need to be tightened. The wheels are fitted with the latest DUNLOP GEOMAX MX 3S tires, delivering maximum grip and stability, effectively transferring all the power to the ground.
- Front suspension: All full-size KTM SX models are fitted with the super-lightweight WP XACT front fork with AER technology. It is a 48 mm USD air-sprung fork with separate functions in each fork leg, with damping functions on the right side and the air spring on the left. The left leg features a two-chamber system with a capsuled air cartridge, helping prevent loss of air pressure. Essentially, this means that in the rare case of a leaking outer seal, the internal cartridge pressure keeps the bike in a normal position. The air spring is exceptionally easy to use and can be adjusted to any rider weight via a single air valve and the air pump that is supplied with the bike. The right fork leg integrates a damping cartridge to fit single damping leg requirements and can be adjusted to the track conditions and the rider's preferences. Additionally, the fork top caps have a new design for improved, easy adjustment (compression from top, rebound from bottom, 30 clicks each).
- Rear suspension: All KTM SX models feature a WP XACT DDC (Dynamic damping control) monoshock, which has been developed to work as a complete unit with the entire frame and swingarm architecture, as well as the linkage system and the WP XACT fork. It features high-quality machined and anodized components, which add a touch of class and give it appeal beyond just a functional necessity. It is fully adjustable, including high and low speed compression, allowing you to set the shock up precisely to suit any track and rider's preferences.
- Triple clamp: All KTM SX models feature top quality, CNC-machined triple clamps which have become a KTM trademark. The triple clamp has a precisely calculated stiffness and offset (22 mm offset for all models) to match the flex characteristics of the frame and fork. The result is a front end that works in perfect harmony, contributing positively to the overall handling and stability. The rubber damped handlebar fixation reduces vibration and also allows for some adjustment with two different mounting positions. An hour meter is fitted as standard on the upper triple clamp on all SX models, keeping the rider informed of the number of hours spent tearing up the track and when the next service is due.
- Highly effective braking: High-tech BREMBO brakes have always been standard equipment on all KTM motocross bikes. Combined with lightweight wave discs, the renowned system provides the highest level of braking efficiency, enabling you to out-brake the competition.
- Shaped for mobility: All models in the KTM SX range are fitted with lightweight polyethylene fuel tanks. The shape of the fuel tank allows for slim ergonomics without compromise to the 1.98 gallon fuel capacity. The filler cap has an inside thread that makes for easy and reliable closure.All models in the KTM SX range are fitted with lightweight polyethylene fuel tanks. The shape of the fuel tank allows for slim ergonomics without compromise to the 1.98 gallon fuel capacity. The filler cap has an inside thread that makes for easy and reliable closure.
- Maximum breathability: The airbox on the KTM 150 SX ensures optimal flow dynamics, and together with its intake snorkels, leads to maximum power and quick throttle response. Despite the obvious performance advantages, the design also offers maximum protection against soiling of the air filter. The large Twin-Air air filter is mounted on a cleverly designed stiff cage that minimizes incorrect installation. As found on previous models, filter maintenance is quick and easy and does not require tools - a standard, original feature from KTM.
- When it comes to attacking the track, chasing faster times with every lap, there is no better weapon than the KTM 150 SX. Its performance-inspired design allows the rider to shift his weight quickly and easily, working in perfect harmony with the motorcycle. KTM has focused extensively on creating bodywork and ergonomics that are shaped for high-level performance, ensuring a riding position that offers the best control. A rider's main interaction with the bike is through the bodywork, footpegs and handlebars. No compromises were made in these important areas and only the best quality products and designs can be seen on all SX models. KTM produces incredibly fast motorcycles and every effort goes into making sure the rider has the ability to confidently control it.
- Comfort meets performance: All KTM SX models feature a seat that perfectly matches the range's dynamic performance-oriented ergonomics. The seat cover features silicone strips that provide better feel and grip for the rider. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it secure and easy to handle.
- Ultimate rider control: All full-size KTM SX models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered handlebar, made by NEKEN. The handlebar is fixed in rubber damped mountings, which allow for two different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left. They also feature a bar-pad with a cover that can be attached and removed with little effort.
- Staying connected: Sophisticated ´no-dirt´ footpegs prevent smudging up the pegs, even when digging in deep ruts. Looking for a higher riding position? Then just mount the footpegs of the KTM 2018 EXC models, which are 6 mm higher than the SX versions.
- Those who ride a KTM 150 SX thrive on the extra power it delivers, while still having the dynamic agility and feel that a 125 cc offers. These riders are always pushing themselves and their machines to the limit and need the freedom of movement to position the bike where they want it on the track. With input from KTM factory riders, KTM R&D as well as Kiska Design, the bodywork on the entire SX range achieves perfect harmony between rider and bike, providing the maneuverability the rider expects and the control they need. The bodywork also contains intelligent design elements, like the I-beam structure on the front and rear fenders, which guarantee maximum stability without adding any extra weight.
- Look the part: The new graphics suit the aggressive nature of the bike and further enhance the high performance look of the bodywork.
- Absolute performance purity is the name of the game when it comes to the KTM 150 SX. Undiluted 2-stroke simplicity, with an hour meter to keep a check on how long you've been shredding and an optional rev counter to assist with perfect setup.
- Displacement: 143.99 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Bore: 58 mm
- Stroke: 54.5 mm
- Starter: Kickstarter
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Multi-plate clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Kokusan
- Frame design: Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel
- Front suspension: WP XACT-USD, Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP XACT Monoshock with linkage
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.9 °
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 2-stroke
- 143.99 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 58 mm x 54.5 mm
- Fuel System
- Front Suspension
- WP XACT-USD, Ø 48 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP XACT Monoshock with linkage
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Final Drive
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.